Button

Button

Button

Button

Button

Button

Button

Right Joystick

What was the better, Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat?

Discussion of coin operated arcade machines.

What was the better, Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat?

Postby Mamecade » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Which was the king of fighters, the Street Fighter series or Mortal Kombat? Or perhaps on of the other fighting games was more your style?
Mamecade
Site Admin

Re: What was the better, Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat?

Postby Red » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Street Fighter 2 was very cool. I'd have to say Mortal Kombat was my favorite though. Mostly due to the Fatality feature. Also, Street Fighter wasn't available at the arcade I went to, Mortal Kombat was.
Red

Postby JimmyD » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:47 pm

Mortal Kombat really came alive with Mk3. This is one of the last games I can remember there actually be a line to play at the arcade. While Street Fighter was fun, Mk matching you up against tougher and tougher opponents made it really something to to strive to get better at. The combos, the fatalities, and the sheer number of chars you could play pushed Mk over the top.
JimmyD

Postby Mamecade » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:10 pm

JimmyD wrote:Mortal Kombat really came alive with Mk3. This is one of the last games I can remember there actually be a line to play at the arcade. While Street Fighter was fun, Mk matching you up against tougher and tougher opponents made it really something to to strive to get better at. The combos, the fatalities, and the sheer number of chars you could play pushed Mk over the top.

Graphically speaking I preferred the drawn sprites of SF rather than the digitized actors used in MK 1-3. I always felt the digitized sprites looked and moved stiffly. They lacked the animation bounce that SF provided. If the fighters were to look ultra real they should move ultra real. I think MK 4 used polygons and motion capture eventually making movement more fluid. But by that time I already had a bad taste in my mouth with the MK series and just found myself preferring SF. As for the sheer number of characters, that's lame when 3 of them are the same with just a costume color difference, i.e. Subzero, Scorpion and Reptile. Never really cared for the fatality "gimick".
Mamecade
Site Admin

Postby Red » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:49 pm

JimmyD wrote:Mortal Kombat really came alive with Mk3. This is one of the last games I can remember there actually be a line to play at the arcade. While Street Fighter was fun, Mk matching you up against tougher and tougher opponents made it really something to to strive to get better at. The combos, the fatalities, and the sheer number of chars you could play pushed Mk over the top.

All valid points. Mortal Kombat 3 was indeed pretty sweet!

Mamecade wrote:Graphically speaking I preferred the drawn sprites of SF rather than the digitized actors used in MK 1-3. I always felt the digitized sprites looked and moved stiffly. They lacked the animation bounce that SF provided. If the fighters were to look ultra real they should move ultra real. I think MK 4 used polygons and motion capture eventually making movement more fluid. But by that time I already had a bad taste in my mouth with the MK series and just found myself preferring SF. As for the sheer number of characters, that's lame when 3 of them are the same with just a costume color difference, i.e. Subzero, Scorpion and Reptile. Never really cared for the fatality "gimick".

When Street Fighter 2 Turbo came out, it made Mortal Kombat appear sluggish in play but the closest I got to a fatality in Street Fighter was Blanka jumping on the opponent and biting him. That can not compare to Reptile ripping off his mask, sticking out his tongue, and swallowing the opponents head! I see what you are saying about the costumes with color difference being pretty lame, I agree with that. Ryu and Ken were very similar in costumes too :D
Red

Postby vintagevideogamegeek » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:49 am

Oooo...tough question. They are so different it's really hard to say. At the end of the day, I would probably say MK, because that was the one I got my butt kick the least at. I could usually hold my own using Raiden. I remember going up against some guy at SF2 and getting perfected in like 10 seconds. Good times!
vintagevideogamegeek

Postby Boomerang70 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:47 pm

vintagevideogamegeek wrote:Oooo...tough question. They are so different it's really hard to say. At the end of the day, I would probably say MK, because that was the one I got my butt kick the least at. I could usually hold my own using Raiden. I remember going up against some guy at SF2 and getting perfected in like 10 seconds. Good times!

Was that you I got a perfect on? Thanks for being a good sport about it. :D
Boomerang70

Postby ps3gamesncomicbooks » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:11 am

MK for me as I thought SF II was just too deep, lol. I suck at that game :lol:
Retro and Modern gamer, 80s action film fan.
ps3gamesncomicbooks

Postby Boomerang70 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:29 pm

ps3gamesncomicbooks wrote:MK for me as I thought SF II was just too deep, lol. I suck at that game :lol:

Yeah SF got a little to full of itself, I'll grant you that.
Boomerang70

Postby Seb » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:59 pm

I'm terrible with both series in general, but I do prefer playing a Street Fighter game over a Mortal Kombat one. The SF games just control more fluidly I find. On the other hand, I do like watching a good MK fight, just because it's so over the top and the fatalities were a nice change of pace for sure!
Seb

Return to Arcade