Button

Button

Button

Button

Button

Button

Right Joystick

Rampage

Discussion of coin operated arcade machines.

Rampage

Postby Red » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:53 pm

I first played this game on the NES but when I came across it in the arcades I was stunned. I was only used to playing the Gorilla and Lizard, but in the Arcade version you had access to the Wolf. You also were able to play with 3 players instead of two of only 2. The more monsters the better! The chewing noises the monsters made while eating people was the icing on the cake.
Red

Re: Rampage

Postby Mamecade » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:47 am

Rampage was one of the few games at the time that allowed other players to get into the action at whatever stage it was currently being played on by entering a credit and jumping right in the game.
Atari had used that same "jump in" feature with Gauntlet a year earlier in 1985.
Mamecade
Site Admin

Postby vintagevideogamegeek » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:52 am

My favorite memory of playing Rampage:

I was at this water park in Orlando called Wet N Wild and they had a small arcade there. Some kid had figured out how to open the cabinet and kept hitting a button inside to give everyone free credits. We must have played that thing for hours!
vintagevideogamegeek

Postby Red » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:12 am

vintagevideogamegeek wrote:My favorite memory of playing Rampage:

I was at this water park in Orlando called Wet N Wild and they had a small arcade there. Some kid had figured out how to open the cabinet and kept hitting a button inside to give everyone free credits. We must have played that thing for hours!

Sweet! Did you guys use the free play to your advantage and beat the game? I never made it too far in the arcade version only because I was limited with quarters. The NES version, I got pretty far ;)
Red

Postby vintagevideogamegeek » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:39 am

Red wrote:
Sweet! Did you guys use the free play to your advantage and beat the game? I never made it too far in the arcade version only because I was limited with quarters. The NES version, I got pretty far ;)

I left after awhile because I started getting bored and thought I should probably be going on waterslides instead of playing video games!
vintagevideogamegeek

Postby qbertaddict1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:58 pm

The first time I played Rampage was at a skatepark in ohio. Whenever I got tired I would take a break and would goto the arcade they only had about 5 games or so but Rampage, Enduro Racer, and Crystal Castles were the ones I played. I was so found of Crystal Castles that I actually bought my own machine for home in 2000
qbertaddict1

Return to Arcade