Button

Button

Button

Button

Button

Button

Button

Right Joystick

Does using an emulator make you phony retro gamer?

Discussion of all emulators, i.e. M.A.M.E, Stella, VICE, JNES, GENS32 etc.

Re: Does using an emulator make you phony retro gamer?

Postby MaximumRD » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:20 am

As some have already touched on, playing a retro game by any means makes you a retro gamer. I mean come on, if someone has the desire to play a 2600 game or NES game and then enjoys the experience they are officially a retro gamer and anyone who claims they are not are just being elitist snobs. I am glad there are people here that see this. There is no argument playing on actual hardware is better, DUH, but for various reasons that is not always possible or practical. Hey I am a collector with dozens of original consoles, hardware, computers etc, I "get" the enjoyment of using the original hardware, I prefer it myself but I have never understood how some people are not only against emulation but feel the need to speak out so strongly against it like it is some dirty or dishonest practice. Furthermore, I have never understood some who get all uptight condemning any means of playing retro games other than retro hardware, I noticed this on some reviews of various flashcards like the Everdrive or retroUSB Powerpak. A few guys were attacking the concept of these devices as if somehow it devalued their collections of precious cartridges. I do not mind someone being opposed to something but if your going to be against something so strongly then learn the friggin facts lol! Their "arguments" were that it was emulation, nope, wrong! Flashcarts / flashcards are not emulation they are just a means of loading the game code in a different manner, they have the storage space (either built in or expandable) to hold more ROMS which usually once selected from a menu is then loaded into the original hardware but for some reason most people equate ROMS = Emulation, that is only true if you are loading the said rom into an emulator. Now, this is just another choice, another option which can only be a good thing. What these same people do not seems to realize is that classic games compilations like say MIDWAY ARCADE TREASURES or Sega Genesis Collection on PS2 are more about emulation than Flashcarts are. Anyway, I guess my point is if you choose original games and hardware, if you choose a 2600 Harmony cart to load games on your 2600 console, if you choose MAME on PC then you are a true retro/classic gamer as much as the next guy. They are all options, they are all choices, if you prefer one over the other than that is fine but they are all a GOOD thing. There is no need or reason for people to take sides or to segregate the gaming community based on their personal preference of how they choose to play. for crap sakes just play the games and have fun!
MaximumRD

Postby RG41 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:19 pm

I actually using emulators to make Gameplay videos. But for me, playing old games in an emulator isn't a bad thing in my opinion. Unless if you don't have an actual console itself. :-/
Last edited by RG41 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RG41

Postby Boomerang70 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:41 pm

MaximumRD wrote:Flashcarts / flashcards are not emulation they are just a means of loading the game code in a different manner, they have the storage space (either built in or expandable) to hold more ROMS which usually once selected from a menu is then loaded into the original hardware but for some reason most people equate ROMS = Emulation, that is only true if you are loading the said rom into an emulator. Now, this is just another choice, another option which can only be a good thing. What these same people do not seems to realize is that classic games compilations like say MIDWAY ARCADE TREASURES or Sega Genesis Collection on PS2 are more about emulation than Flashcarts are. Anyway, I guess my point is if you choose original games and hardware, if you choose a 2600 Harmony cart to load games on your 2600 console!

I that same argument with someone recently.
MaximumRD, I'm going to print your statement here and mail it to him. Well said my friend.
Boomerang70

Postby TigerClawTV » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:47 am

First off, VintageVideoGameGeek, nice to see you here.

Now about emulators. I feel there is nothing phony per se about a retro gamer who plays emulation. After all, they are the same games right? To each their own. Besides, not everyone can afford to build a retro collection.
TigerClawTV

Postby qbertaddict1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:31 pm

Using emulators does not make you a phony retro gamer. In fact it actually makes you a more informed retro gamer in my opinion. Through emulation I have played games that I would have never seen in the arcades. I prefer arcade emulation but I have come across a few gems on the consoles that I would have never played if it wasn't via emulation due to pricing and availability. Emulation on consoles also feeds the homebrew scene which as some of you may know has given us some great games. Just think CAVE STORY was a homebrew game in 2004. Now its a game on the Wii!
qbertaddict1

Postby MetalKing79 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:52 pm

I don't think that using emulator's means you are not an retro gamer, but I think there is something to be said for playing the games on the original system, if at all possible. It isn't always possible though, and down the road many of the systems will not work any longer and may be unrepairable, so emulation may be the only way. Personally I use emulation for games that are too rare or expensive, or were never officially released, but prefer to attain the actual game if at all possible.
MetalKing79

Previous

Return to Emulators