Button

Button

Button

Button

Button

Button

Right Joystick

I got burned by the Jaguar

Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, Lynx systems and related games discussion.

I got burned by the Jaguar

Postby Boomerang70 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:32 pm

I remember reading about the Atari Jaguar sometime in late 1992 in a computer magazine whose name I can't remember. But I do recall all the amazing specs that we're listed on the pages. Man, my mouth was salivating to get my hands on that system. They boasted about being the first 64-bit machine and how IBM was the muscle for the processing power in it.
Well I was an early adopter and plunked down my money, $250 bucks I think, back in '93 when it came out at a local New York Toys 'R Us. Boy was I disappointed. Cybermorph, the game that came packaged with it was utter crap. The controller was like holding a shoebox and titles were few and far away.
Atari told me to "Do the math!" in their commercials and I did, but somehow 64-bit in the Atari Jaguar's world was less than 32-bit and scarcely better than 16-bit.
I got burned. :(
jaguar.jpg
jaguar.jpg (77.84 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
Boomerang70

Re: I got burned by the Jaguar

Postby qbertaddict1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:44 pm

I was fortunate enough to not have the money to buy one at launch. I got one when kb toys was liquidating. The only two games that I like are Tempest 2000 and Zool. Both are great games and made my purchase worth it. I think I got it for $50 with both games in 1999. I sold it for some reason and now I wish I hadn't. If you still have yours and want to sell it let me know ;)
qbertaddict1

Re: I got burned by the Jaguar

Postby doomwaves » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Jag is a hit or miss system for most.. I enjoy it, but I hate that it is so expensive it is to collect for..
doomwaves

Return to Atari