Button

Button

Button

Button

Button

Button

Right Joystick

Vic 20

Commodore Pet, Commodore Vic-20, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Amiga etc games and systems.

Vic 20

Postby 911BONEZ » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Ah the Vic 20. One system I have actually owned for the better part of a year now. In fact the computer was a bit before my time, but I can vaguely recall seeing them in sale bins in the early 90's. The system was released in 80, and discontinued for the more popular Commodore 64 in 85. Anyways through YouTube I was able to get my hands on a PAL Vic 20 from a good friend Amurphy245 in England. It was in need of some repair but I was able to eventually get it up to operable condition, though it is a bit oxidized. Anyways what I am getting at is the integrity of the system. I find even 31 years after the computer was released it is still an amazing experience to slot it into the TV and flip the power switch and see that beautiful light blue and white loading screen. The games in their cartridge form, or the tape form (which required the 1530 C2N-B Datasette to play some games, or allow extra storage.) are all a fun time and all worth experiencing. Basically what I am getting at is no matter how old or young you are you need to give a Vic 20, or even a Com 64/128 a try. They are all amazing machines and were an inexpensive way for people to cross the barrier between personal home computer and game machine. Heres to you Commodore!

911BONEZ

Re: Vic 20

Postby Boomerang70 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:02 pm

Oh man, the Vic 20 was my first computer. I also had the datacasette for it. I have no recollection where I my parents bought it from but I do remember learning BASIC on it. That was so much fun.
I only had a few cartridge based games for it, I recall Gorf, Adventureland, somethin Attack.
But what I vividly remember was borrowing programming books from my older cousin and manually typing hundreds of lines of BASIC code from the book and then having to debug it because I had typos everywhere. Eventually after a few days I would have a working game! That always blew my mind.
The Vic 20 was a fantastic 1st computer to introduce me into computing and BASIC programming.
Commodore_VIC_20_box.jpg
Commodore_VIC_20_box.jpg (40.45 KiB) Viewed 7186 times
Boomerang70

Re: Vic 20

Postby qbertaddict1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:41 am

My friend had a Vic 20 when I was growing up but I was lucky the following christmas my parents bought me a c-64 with a 1541 disk drive. Damn that thing took forever to load but as soon as I found out about the action replay cart it was all over. It let me buffer into the ram and made loading lightning fast for its day. It also let drop to the actual running code at any moment via a hotkey. It made it a lot easier to remove copy protection and patch pal games to run on NTSC ;) Epyx also had a similar cart called the FASTLOAD cartridge. It didn't offer as much as the action replay but it helped with the loading speed. Ahh the good old days.
qbertaddict1

Return to Commodore